Step 1 – Apply the Base Color
Paint your wall(s) with two base coats. Allow at least 24 hours for it to dry.
Step 2 – Apply Tape
Before you apply the glaze mixture to your wall, tape off your ceiling and baseboards.
Step 3 – Prepare the Glaze Mixture
Pour four parts Studio Finishes® Latex Glaze and the color of your choice into a bucket, and mix thoroughly with a stir stick. Pour the mixture into your paint tray.
Step 4 – Apply the Glaze
Using your angled sash paint brush, apply glaze along your baseboards and ceiling. Roll a wide strip of glaze – three to four feet wide – from floor to ceiling.
Step 5 – Using the Strié Technique
Before the glaze dries, quickly drag your wallpaper paste brush vertically along the wall from ceiling to floor, until the glazed area is complete. Take care to drag the brush over the taped baseboard, to ensure a smooth edge.
Continue using the strié painting technique, being careful not to overlap too much glaze on areas you have already completed. If tiny overlap lines occur, not to worry – they are part of the finished look.
Tools and Supplies
- Base Color – Regal® Paint, Pearl Finish
- Strié Color – Regal Paint, Pearl Finish
- Studio Finishes Latex Glaze
- 3/8–inch nap Benjamin Moore roller
- 2–inch painter’s tape
- 2½–inch Benjamin Moore angular sash paint brush
- Large wallpaper paste brush
- Paint tray
- Stir Stick
Note: The amount of strié paint and the tools required depend on the square footage of your project. For guidance in calculating the size of your project, consult your local retailer.
Style Tips for Strié Painting:
- Select different combinations of primary colors, such as light yellow with dark red.
- Choose a theme around which you can build accessories and colors–a favorite cartoon character, for example.
- Remember to keep it simple–you can always add more later.